Nov 24, 2010

Lots of yays

Big, wonderful news today. My neighbour, she's had it pretty tough. Difficult childhood moving around to different countries all her life, parents had problems, any pets she got ran away, her parents both die in separate car accidents, then she finds she is going blind from a rare genetic disorder called Stargardt's macular degeneration.

BUT... now there are trials for embryonic stem cell therapy for sufferers! http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/ivf-embryos-to-provide-stem-cells-for-blind-2430092.html Delighted that things may be looking up for someone so unlucky.


I got a new bike yesterday - well, an old one.


It's beautiful, really comfortable to cycle cause it's upright, and runs really well. Best of all, I got it from a local entrepreneur called Cillian. He makes a little extra money for his family (he has a cute 3-year-old son) by selling second hand and ex-rental bikes for cheap. This baby only cost €50 and he could probably get away with calling it 'vintage'.
I can't recommend bikes enough. I tend to go really fast, so it gets my heart rate up and gets me some exercise, and I'm generally so much healthier. I never need to cycle very far, but I'm very impatient walking, and besides, it's so much fun.
All this wonderful good luck prompted me to join in with the Saint Vincent de Paul giving tree. It's a great idea - pretty Christmas trees with little bits of card pegged on to the branches, on the cards are the names and ages of children, you buy a suitable present, leave it by the tree, and SVdP wrap it and give it to a child who may otherwise not get a visit from Santy. You'll see the trees around campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment